Like many people who suffer from anxiety and Panic Disorder, my diet is usually the first thing to be affected by the condition. Nausea can often stop me from eating, and at other times hunger pangs mean that I consume vast quantities of junk food.
I've read many articles on the impact of diet on physical and mental health, though they usually focus on one thing (the latest 'superfood' fad, or expensive dietary supplement perhaps) or give suspect or conflicting advice. One article recommended that I limit the amount of carbohydrates in my diet to alleviate anxiety, and the next advocated the wonderful soothing effect that carbohydrates have on our bodies, and minds.
Unhappy with this, I set out to find some firm answers on how to change my diet to help me to deal with anxiety and Panic Disorder. After an initial consultation with a nutritionalist, I was truly surprised at how simple it appears to be. No 'superfoods', no expensive dietary supplements, not even a mention of cabbage soup!
It came as no surprise to learn that eliminating, or at the very least cutting back on caffeine and sugar would be an important step in my fight against Panic Disorder. At the same time, avoiding withdrawal symptoms is vitally important, so a cup of sweet black tea was recommended at times where I felt it was needed. The fact that tea contains many beneficial antioxidants was also pointed out to me here.
At least 5 portions of fruit and vegetables a day arms our bodies with the essential vitamins we need to remain healthy. Especially relevant to anxiety and Panic Disorder are foods rich in magnesium, potassium and B vitamins. Bananas, kiwi fruit and leafy green vegetables such as spinach were given as examples. The fibre can also help to alleviate digestive discomfort associated with anxiety. Occasionally a vitamin B and/or magnesium supplement may be beneficial.
Whole grains, pulses, nuts and seeds can also be beneficial, containing lots of B vitamins. A simple bowl of whole-grain cereal should suffice. If you're intolerant, or notice that eating whole-grains exacerbates your situation or digestive discomfort, you should obviously take steps to avoid them in your diet.
Although a glass of wine at the end of the day may seem like a healthy way to combat anxiety, alcohol dehydrates us, impedes sleep and can result in insomnia, adding to anxiety.
Also particularly relevant is the effect of wheat and potatoes on our bodies. These contain trace amounts of naturally occuring diazepam (valium) and the high carbohydrate content has a calming, sedative effect.
Numerous studies have also indicated a link between a diet rich in essential Omega-3 fatty acids and improved physical and mental health. Oily fish seems to be the best way to incorporate these into your diet, but as a vegetarian I will be sticking with my vegetarian omega-3 supplement, containing linseed/flaxseed oil.
I'll look forward to following this advice and hope to see some improvement in my general health as well as my anxiety and Panic Disorder, apparently quite soon.
Obviously, I am not a qualified nutritionalist and I'm sharing this advice with you as a fellow sufferer. Any radical changes in your diet should always be approved by a doctor.
Tuesday, 28 August 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment